Why GMK Keycaps Are the Best Choice for Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiasts
What are GMK keycaps?
GMK keycaps are high-quality keycaps made by the German company GMK electronic design GmbH. GMK stands for "Göbel Mechanical Keycaps," named after the company's founder, Hermann Göbel. These keycaps are made of a thick, high-grade plastic called ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and are known for their durability and longevity.
GMK keycap is made using the double-shot molding process. This process involves injecting two layers of plastic into a mold, with the first layer being the base of the keycap and the second layer being the legend or character on the keycap. This results in incredibly durable and long-lasting keycaps, as the code will never wear off or fade. GMK keycaps are made in Germany and are highly sought-after by mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for their high quality and unique designs.
Why are GMK keycaps so expensive?
GMK keycaps are considered to be expensive for a few reasons. One reason GMK keycaps are so costly is because of the material they are made. ABS plastic is more expensive than the cheaper and more commonly used PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) plastic.
Another reason is the manufacturing process for GMK keycaps is more labor-intensive and requires more precision than mass-produced keycaps, which involves injecting two layers of plastic into a mold to create the GMK keycap. This process adds to the cost of the keycaps. This extra attention to detail and use of higher-quality materials make GMK keycaps a popular choice among keyboard enthusiasts.
Additionally, the GMK keycap set is made in Germany, adding to their cost due to higher labor and production costs. Finally, GMK keycaps are highly sought-after by mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for their high quality and unique designs, which drives up demand and price. Overall, the combination of the manufacturing process, location of production, and increased demand make GMK keycaps more expensive than other keycaps.
What do GMK keycaps stand for?
It stands for high level among keycaps. There are many different types of GMK keycaps, including:
- GMK Olivia keycaps: These have a sleek, modern design with a white base and light blue legends.
- GMK Apollo keycaps: These are inspired by the NASA Apollo missions and feature a classic space-themed color scheme.
- GMK Darling keycaps: These have a pink and white color scheme and are designed to be cute and playful.
- GMK Laser keycaps: These have a red and black color scheme and are designed to be bold and aggressive.
- GMK Clone keycaps: These are inspired by the Star Wars Clone Wars and feature a color scheme that matches the Clone Troopers' armor.
- GMK Samurai keycaps: These are inspired by Japanese samurai and feature a black base with red and gold legends.
- GMK Black on White keycaps: These have a simple and clean design, with black legends on a white base.
- GMK Botanical keycaps: These are inspired by nature and feature a green and white color scheme with plant-themed legends.
- GMK Mizu keycaps: These have a blue and white color scheme and are inspired by the ocean and water.
- GMK Red Samurai keycap: This single keycap has a red and black color scheme and is designed to match the GMK Samurai keycaps.
- GMK Japanese keycaps: These are inspired by Japanese culture and feature a black base with red and white legends.
- GMK Striker keycaps: These are inspired by soccer and feature a black and red color scheme with soccer-themed legends.
Is GMK better than PBT?
GMK and PBT are both materials commonly used to make keycaps, but they have some differences that make one better than the other in certain situations. PBT, or polybutylene terephthalate, is a type of plastic known for its durability and resistance to wear and tear. It is a popular choice for keycaps because it is resistant to fading and shine and has a slightly grainy texture that provides a good grip.
On the other hand, GMK, or Gütenberger Kunststoffverarbeitung, is a German company that specializes in the production of keycaps using the double-shot molding process. This process involves injecting two layers of plastic into a mold, with the first layer being the base of the keycap and the second layer being the legend or character on the keycap. This results in highly durable and long-lasting keycaps, as the code will never wear off or fade.
In terms of quality, GMK keycaps are generally better than keycaps made of PBT plastic. PBT keycaps are known to develop a "shine" over time due to the oils from your fingers, while GMK keycaps are more resistant to this kind of wear and tear.
It ultimately depends on the individual's personal preference and the specific situation. PBT keycaps are generally considered more durable and resistant to wear and tear, while GMK keycaps are known for their high quality and unique designs. Some people prefer the texture and feel of PBT keycaps, while others prefer the durability and longevity of GMK keycaps. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and what you value most in a keycap.
Where to buy GMK keycaps?If you're interested in purchasing GMK keycaps, they are available from several online retailers, including MechanicalKeyboards.com and PimpMyKeyboard.com. It's always a good idea to check for GMK keycaps in stock before purchasing to ensure you get the style and color you want. Some popular options for buying GMK keycaps include:
- MechanicalKeyboards.com: This online retailer offers a wide selection of GMK keycaps, as well as other keycaps, mechanical keyboards, and keyboard accessories.
- Keyclack: This online store specializes in mechanical keyboards and keycaps and offers a range of GMK keycaps.
- NovelKeys: This online store offers a selection of GMK keycaps, as well as other keycaps, switches, and keyboard accessories.
- Kono Store: This online store is the official store of the famous keyboard brand Kono and offers a range of GMK keycaps.
- Elitekeyboards: This online store offers a selection of GMK keycaps, as well as other keycaps, mechanical keyboards, and keyboard accessories.
- Originative: This online store offers a range of GMK keycaps, as well as other keycaps, mechanical keyboards, and keyboard accessories.
In addition to these online retailers, GMK keycaps may also be available from local mechanical keyboard shops, depending on your location. It is always a good idea to check with your local shops to see if they carry GMK keycaps.